After several weeks of partisan obstruction, House leadership finally set aside the politics and worked with us to pass legislation sending emergency relief funds to address the crisis at our border.
The bill - which also passed the Senate with broad bipartisan support - will now be law and bring some much needed relief to the border. The bill will provide a total of $4.59 billion in emergency funding to address the surge of migrants at the border and the need for stronger border security.
Some of the highlights of the bill include funding for:
- Processing facilities, food, medical services and safe transportation
- The Department of Defense to provide aviation support, mobile surveillance and more
- Wellness items like clothing, baby formula and hygiene products
- Overtime costs for ICE and CBP agents who are working to secure the border
- Human trafficking investigations
- The Department of Justice to hire additional immigration judges to help alleviate the massive backlog of migrants awaiting adjudication
Check out this week’s video to learn more about the bill.
In case you missed it, here are a couple other things that happened this week:
- I voted to improve election security and protect our voting process.
- Governor Ron DeSantis continued to prioritize our waterways.
- The South Florida Water Management District board held their first “Lunch & Learn” on restoring the Everglades.