This was a great week in our fight for clean water.
I’ve been working with Governor DeSantis, Senator Rubio and others to get the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide grant funding to complete the Tamiami Trail project, which will help move more water south into the Everglades.
Earlier this week we got some really great news on this front. The U.S. Department of Transportation has awarded Florida $60 million dollars to complete the Tamiami Trail project. This $60 million - combined with the $40 million Governor DeSantis requested and received from the Florida legislature - fully funds the project.
To say the least, this is a huge step towards moving a much greater amount of water south—mimicking the natural water flow—helping to protect our environment, health, safety and economy.
This week the House also passed 4 important clean water bills including:
- The National Estuaries and Acidification Research Act - which I helped introduce - to combat ocean acidification and protect our estuaries.
- The COAST Research Act to authorize funding for research designed to better understand changes in the chemistry of ocean and coastal waters that can be so dangerous to marine life.
- The Coastal Communities Ocean Acidification Act to identify coastal communities like the Treasure Coast that are dependent on marine resources and evaluate the economic impacts of ocean acidification on the fishing industry.
- The Ocean Acidification Innovation Act to incentivize innovation in an effort to better understand, research, monitor and adapt to acidification.
Check out this week’s video to learn more about these bills and our efforts to protect our coastal communities.
In case you missed it, here are some other issues I worked on this week:
- I joined Representatives Dan Crenshaw and Jim Baird on Fox and Friends to discuss how our service in the military impacts our service in Congress.
- I sat down with Michael Williams on To The Point to discuss the important progress we are making to responsibly manage Lake Okeechobee.
- I voted “no” on a plan to grant amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants without any improvements to our border security.
- I introduced two bills to help remove artificial barriers and needless bureaucracy getting in the way of those who want to serve our country.