WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Congressman Brian Mast (FL-18) released the following statement after being fined $500 by Speaker Nancy Pelosi (CA-12) for following guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that vaccinated individuals do not need to wear a mask:
“The truth is, from this moment on, Americans must ignore lies and start to listen to scientists. The scientists at the CDC are telling us if you are fully vaccinated, you can go about your life without wearing a mask or physically distancing. So, that's what I'm doing. The question people should be asking is why is Speaker Pelosi not? For her, this has never been about science, it's always been about power and control over the American people."
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing.”
- In response, the Capitol Attending Physician issued guidance stating that fully vaccinated individuals “can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart” in the Capitol Complex.
- Nonetheless, Speaker Pelosi has continued to enforce arbitrary mask mandates on the Floor of the House of Representatives that are not backed by science.
- Mast was fined $500 for his first violation. According to Speaker Pelosi, another violation will result in a $2,500 fine.
- Rep. Mast is fully vaccinated and is abiding by the guidance issued by the CDC.