I’ve got another update regarding the St. Lucie River railroad bridge. As you likely know, the bridge is currently managed with a test schedule that requires the default operating position to be open to boaters unless a train is crossing, and guarantees a ten-minute opening at the beginning of every hour. The goal of this test schedule is to ensure that mariners have access to the waterway for, at minimum, 50 percent of the time between the hours of 6 AM and 10 PM. The exception to those requirements are when maintenance is done.
In order to conduct maintenance, the bridge is going to be in the down, or closed, position at the following times:
- From 11:00 PM on Sunday, August 27 until 11:00 AM on Monday, August 28
- From 11:00 PM on Monday, August 28 until 11:00 AM on Sunday, August 27
It will also be closed intermittently, but not more than 60 consecutive minutes, at the following times:
- From 9:00 PM on Friday, August 25 until 6:00 AM on Saturday, August 26
- From 9:00 PM on Saturday, August 26 until 6:00 AM on Sunday, August 27
The bridge will also be in the down position, except for the required 10-minute period at the beginning of each hour, at the following times:
- From 6:00 AM until 5:00 PM on Wednesday, August 30
- From 6:00 AM until 5:00 PM on Thursday, August 31
Boaters should plan accordingly.
Finally, as a reminder, the U.S. Coast Guard’s public comment period is now open. Members of our community can weigh in on this test schedule by clicking here.